Wednesday, December 12, 2012

To Start Running Faster

I'm of the belief that if you want to start running faster, then you must run faster. Simple as that? Maybe not, but it's a start. I have had the above bumper sticker on my wall for years, it was destroyed in the flood, but I still have a picture of it. It think it's genius advice from Pearl Izumi, "If you're not sure whether you are running or jogging, GO FASTER." There are some days when I just want to go out for a jog, like tonight. Before we kill ourselves in indoor cycle I just want to run easy for 4 miles, work out the kinks. But yesterday I wanted to run, I had to test the engine a little bit. This is the only way I am going to make progress, by picking up the pace from a jog, to a run. How do you do this, well you GO FASTER. Rich and I cruised at an easy pace for the first 4 miles, then he basically laid the hammer down and I had to follow like a scared little puppy. He dropped me, he might not have dropped me so easily if it was 3 months ago, but I have a hard time getting into that extra gear right now, so he left me in the dust.  The benefit to getting dropped was that it made me work, and it made me put in some serious effort for those last two miles. From this effort alone I'm almost positive my next run will be faster. Soon it will be time to add in some speed work on the track and watch the seconds drip off those miles, I hope, but I'm not a very good coach, particularly when it comes to coaching myself. 

Tonight will be another round of suffering on the indoor trainer with the team of Misfits. I plan on working tonight, and not being the class clown. I am past due for a visit to the pain cave. Let me give you a little taste of what is conjured up in my pain cave:

























That is a preview of the images that shoot through my head while I try to maintain the darkness. Hope you enjoyed. I promise my next post I will have more to say, today was more of a picture of beer and pizza kind of day.


No comments:

Post a Comment